Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Fish n Game

Fish n Game

My father-in-law called me as he was leaving the gym and said he saw the Fish and Game truck releasing steelhead (huge trout that have been living in the ocean and have returned to spawn at the fish hatchery) by the Parkcenter bridge. I had not been fishing in weeks b/c I've been out of town, working, having visitors from out of town, sick, etc. I left work early and drove the half mile to the bridge. I couldn't believe there were 2 dozen guys wetting their lines. They must have been following the truck like I was planning to do. A kid told me that they were hitting left and right at first. Isn't that like shooting fish in a barrel?


The usual Idaho wide berth etiquette was not exhibited. This was urban fishing like on the jetty in Miami Beach. No one talking. A couple of idiots splashing around. Everything was so heavily casted over that I thought it was pointless to even try. If I did have any luck, it wouldn't be the same as regular fishing. The whole point is to play chess with nature. The lack of complexity with this scenario was masturbatory at best.

No comments: